Jerseyville First Baptist Church was organized on Sept. 5, 1841 with thirty charter members. Services were held in the “Old School” located on the northeast corner of Spruce and Jefferson Streets in Jerseyville. The time set for the evening service was “at early candlelight”. After a few months, a move was made to the County Courthouse, where services were held until 1849. During this eight year period, mid-week prayer services were started in 1843 and Sunday School in June of 1847.
While services were held at the Courthouse, the first church edifice was being built at the corner of Washington and Exchange Streets, just east of the courthouse where the present Post Office now stands.
In 1855, a vote was taken to build a new church building. A lot was purchased on the southwest corner of Washington and West Pearl Streets, the site of the present church building.
Today, First Baptist Church serves an average of between 215-225 active attenders, offers 10 Sunday School Classes for all ages led by approximately 25 teachers and assistants.